Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Kaits Cakes

Hi! My name is Kaitlyn, I am starting this blog as a means of sharing my baking stories, showcasing my baking and decorating and to using it as a portfolio for the work I have done. I am a student at the University of Regina where I am studying Elementary Education with plans of becoming a teacher in the next two years! I've always been a fan of baking. Ever since my fourth birthday when I got a kids cookbook and wanted to make EVERYTHING in it, I still have that book today. When I was in High School I didn't subscribe to Seventeen magazine or other fashion and beauty magazines but rather food and baking magazines! Within the past couple years I have really enjoyed making cupcakes and cakes and just last month I took a Wilton Cake Decorating class. After working at Michaels for three years, I had already picked up a lot of tips when it comes to decorating, so that class was what I had already taught myself. I am hoping to take their Wilton Fondant Class so that perhaps I will be able to create more elaborate and 'fancy' cakes! For now, I am experimenting with different creative recipes of cakes as well as decorating them! I know my co-workers and friends sure enjoy the cakes I make! Here are a few things that I have done in the past. (Don't mind that poor photo resolution as most of these picture were taken on my Blackberry!)

I made this cake for Joel's birthday 2 years ago. It is a round cake and a smaller round cake that I cut in halfers for the ears. Chocolate icing for the fur and yellow vanilla icing for the ears and nose. The eyes are oreos with brown smarties and the smile and nostrils are those pull and peel thingers.

This is a ghosty I made one year for halloween for Joel's sisters family! It is a cupcake cake all iced together with oreos for the eyes and mouth.

These are cupcakes I made this year for Halloween! Vampires, Pumpkins, Skeletors, OH MY! The bottom right features my 'rocky road' cupcake. It is a chocolate cupcake with chocolate icing topped with nuts, marshmallows, chocolate chips, and caramel sauce!
These are the cupcakes my sister and I made for the boys at Enbridge. We wanted to go in for a coffee break one day to visit so we thought we'd bring along a treat. The boys LOVED it! The cupcakes are just have the Enbridge swirl on them.

A big hit this year for my co-workers at Brewsters is the wreath cupcakes. They are just vanilla cupcakes with white icing. I made wreathes around all of them and added holly berries and a ribbon to each one!
For Christmas, we have the Santy Clause cupcake cake! It turned out really awesome! I iced Santas face smoothly with peach coloured icing, 
his hat I iced in red swirls and his beard in white! His eyes and nose are smarties. Everyone loved him!

I made this cake out of boredom and putting off homework one night. Icing filling between two layers of vanilla bean cake! I decorated it with flowers and swirls.
I made these cupcakes the night before I left for Mexico, they don't look all that great because I was too tired, excited, and rushed to get them done. I was just trying out different styles.
 And, here is my Valentines cake. It's a zebra print heart, the boys at Enbridge sure enjoyed it since I didn't see my Valentine at all on the 14th. 

So that is what I have done so far..let's see what else I can do! Follow me through my adventures of baking!


Kaits :)


Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...